The 10 most common mistakes we make with our petsPosted by BacanitoOn 19 August, 2019
The 10 most common mistakes we make with our pets
1) Humanize our dogs.
Humans humanize our dogs for our own satisfaction and with this, we are causing them to lose their identity, to feel frustrated, anxious and insecure.
“Dogs want to have what they have in a natural way: The ability to BE SIMPLY DOGS, living in a stable and balanced herd” César Millán
The term “perrhijo” has become very fashionable. We love that you love your dog and consider it your child, but you should not forget that they are dogs and have certain needs very different from those of humans. In Bacanito you will learn many tips on what will really make you and your pet have a super special bond and from now on instead of saying that you have a dog, you will say: “I have a Bacanito”.
2) We do not apply the balanced equation.
The basic equation of the teaching of César Millán is: EXERCISE, DISCIPLINE and AFFECTION. In that order.
Exercise is for the body = Satisfy the instinct (50%)
Discipline is for the mind = Satisfy the intellect (25%)
Affection is for the heart = Satisfy emotion (25%)
3) We create separation anxiety.
Dogs do not need compassion. They need leadership.
When we leave home and show our pet that it gives us remorse to leave them alone, they perceive it and generate a lot of stress, attachment and dependence and that is when they destroy our home. To prevent this anxiety from being generated, follow these steps:
1. Before leaving home, take your dog for a walk. (Remember that exercise is basic to get your energy). The less energy they have, the less they want to destroy.
2. Without touching, without speaking, without eye contact for at least half an hour after leaving. This way your dog will feel that you are as calm and normal and will reduce his anxiety. Just leave as if nothing.
3. Stay calm and firm!
4. Start slowly leaving your dog alone. Go practicing for lapses and every time you see increasing time.
5. Leave a toy that entertains you.
4) The way we walk our dogs.
Surely you will have noticed that your dog is more aggressive when it brings a leash. The main reasons why this happens are:
1) Do not feel free to react to any adversity or danger.
2) You feel at a disadvantage in front of dogs that do not bring a leash.
3) You feel trapped, which increases your insecurity.
4) You are transmitting your insecurity and nervousness. (This is the most important thing since dogs feel and smell our vibe. The more relieved you are, he will be the same and vice versa).
To reduce the aggressiveness of your dog while on a leash, follow these steps:
1) Be a more relaxed owner. Let other dogs smell him, that he smells. If they bark, nothing happens. It is really difficult for dogs to really fight, it will not happen from a small doggy discussion. Let it be.
2) Practice the walk a lot. To educate in your dog is to invest in the happiness of both of you. Be patient.
3) Let it be a dog. Smell everything you want to smell. Don’t limit it so much.
5) About protecting our dogs.
If you protect your dog over:
1) You will not know how to defend yourself, which is an innate quality in them.
2) It is more likely to become neurotic, anxious and sickly.
3) He will skip the rules and do what he wants because he will feel the leader. (As happens when a father consents to a small child, he will no longer have respect for his dad and will think he can do whatever he wants.)
4) You will have trouble relating. If you look, the most fearful dogs are usually the most spoiled ones by their owners.
5) You will become a dog 100% dependent on you.
6) Let the dog be our leader.
In a pack, there is only one leader, and that leader must be YOU.
Just like in a pack of wolves, you must adopt the same strategies.
The leader of a pack:
1) It has a firm and serene energy. Many think that to be a leader we must be rude and impose but that will only cause our pack to be afraid of us and that is not what we want, we want them to respect us.
2) Create the balance.
3) Establish rules, boundaries and limits with your pack.
4) Have a healthy mind. It has neither generates anxiety nor nervousness.
7) Punish instead of reward.
Training based on positive reinforcements is much more effective than with domination and punishment.
There are different types of rewards. You have to identify which is the favorite of your Bacanito.
Some are more attracted to prizes or food, others play with other dogs, others play with their ball or favorite toy and others affection / caresses.
But what do I do if I misbehave?
Don’t yell at him or hurt him. Talk to him in a firm and calm voice, preferably when you have done something.
Tell him not at the moment and give him another option. Example If he bit your shoe, give him a toy that he can bite.
Is trying to ll